EcoParent aims to inform Canadian parents on environmental issues and choices affecting families. The publishers want to help Canadian families make responsible, sustainable and, most importantly, attainable lifestyle choices. I think it's great to have a magazine with Canadian content - after all, there's nothing more frustrating than reading a publication, finding something you like and realizing it's not available here.
The magazine will publish quarterly and is printed in full-colour on recycled paper. I noticed:
- pages are clearly laid out and articles are easy to find and follow (no articles started on page 4, for example, and finished way back in the magazine, making you flip all over the place to read on - I detest this!)
- images and graphics are present and complement but do not overpower the content
- advertising is present, of course, but again, not overpowering, and features Canadian companies and services
- the current issue is focused on outdoors and nature, because of the summer season, so a lot of articles are related to this theme, which makes for very cohesive reading
- articles are well-written and provide information that's easy to understand, without making the reader feel pressured or guilty
- the recipe section: there were some great, kid-friendly ideas that I thought were definitely doable, and provided ideas for people with special diets as well (there were some great suggestions I'm going to use when our family visits this summer, to accommodate some dietary restrictions); I also really appreciated the variations listed!
- the craft feature: this issue's craft idea was very attractive and could be done by a variety of age levels, with materials that are easy to find
There are a few pages of the current issue available for preview online. I'm sure you'll be as impressed as I was - and your curiosity will be piqued enough to want to see more! :)
Subscriptions are for the paper version only right now, but a digital version is in the planning. A 1 year subscription is $25 CAD plus applicable taxes within Canada or $35 outside of Canada. Glimpse readers from Canada and the US can use the following discount code
to receive a 20% discount on their subscription price. The code expires on July 15, 2012.
Single issues are available at select retailers, with more to come.
Follow EcoParent on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest!