While we were thinking of the style of highchair we wanted to use for Annalies, we were able to borrow one from my family. It worked well as far as feeding Annalies, but it had some drawbacks: it's footprint was too big, and it didn't collapse when not in use; it was much higher than the table, so Annalies was quite removed from the rest of the family; and it could only be used while she was a baby, requiring some other piece of equipment when the highchair was too small but the regular chairs were still too big.
Then we remembered what many of our friends used in the Netherlands: the Stokke Tripp Trapp! When we looked into it a bit more, it seemed like the perfect solution:
- baby sits right at the table with the rest of the family (standard table height of 28"-30")
- the foot rest allows the child's feet to be comfortable, not dangling off a booster seat
- the chair takes up the same space as a regular dining chair
- the chair can be used from 6 months, with a babyset, all the way up through childhood and teen years, and even adults can sit on the chair!
Stokke is a Scandinavian company whose focus is innovative children's products. From the Tripp Trapp adjustable highchair to the Xplory stroller, which by the way looks very cool (I've seen it in use!) to the Sleepi bed which starts off as a round infant bed on wheels and transforms to an oval crib and later to a toddler bed and a child's bed up to age 10, it seems like their theme is products that grow with your child. Certainly, from what we've experienced with the Tripp Trapp, the quality is such that the product will last for a long time, being made from solid wood. Stokke products are designed to bring the child as close as possible to the parents; the bed on wheels, the highchair that fits at the table, the stroller with the much higher seat, it all makes life easier and more pleasant for everyone!
Annalies loves to sit at the table and eat with the rest of us. She'd also gladly eat what we are eating! :) The babyset provides her with enough support that she can sit easily, but still move around a little bit. Right now the seat is at the highest position, and the foot rest exactly right for her feet. Depending on the size of your baby or child, the seat and foot rests can be adjusted vertically, but can also slide more to the front or back, so the back rest is perfectly positioned for your child's body. How cool is that?! :)
- the baby set (extra seat back, front rail with piece between the legs - seen in the picture)
- back and seat cushions
- a table top with a ridge around the edges to prevent spills from going over the whole table